2024 RT Amination Banner.gif

China Daily

News> Sports> Content
Published: 11:44, December 02, 2023 | Updated: 17:00, December 02, 2023
Sargeant stays at Williams to complete 2024 F1 grid
By Reuters
Published:11:44, December 02, 2023 Updated:17:00, December 02, 2023 By Reuters

Williams driver Logan Sargeant, of the United States, speaks during a news conference before the Formula One US Grand Prix auto race at Circuit of the Americas, Oct 20, 2023, in Austin, Texas. (PHOTO / AP)

LONDON - Logan Sargeant completed the 2024 Formula One starting grid on Friday with the 22-year-old US driver securing a second season alongside Alex Albon in an unchanged lineup at Williams.

The American, who scored one point in his rookie season this year, had been the only remaining uncertainty with all other drivers confirmed.

The decision to retain Sargeant also meant there will be no driver change on the grid from the end of one season to the start of the next, a rarity in the history of grand prix racing.

Former champions Williams finished the season seventh overall this year, moving up from 10th and last in the previous campaign.

ALSO READ: Formula One set to change sprint format for 2024

Sargeant, despite being outqualified 22-0 by experienced Thai Albon, achieved several milestones including being the first US driver in 30 years to score a point and first since 1987 to start a home grand prix in the top 10.

We have exciting plans for the future, and I can't wait to contribute to the team's success in the coming year.

Logan Sargeant, F1 driver

"I am pleased to continue our journey with Logan into the 2024 season," said team principal James Vowles in a statement.

"Logan has demonstrated immense skill whilst under the pressure of the world stage, making him a perfect fit for our team.

READ MORE: Viva Las Vegas for Verstappen after 18th win of season

"We have great confidence in his abilities and believe that together we can achieve even greater success in the upcoming season."

Sargeant, who was 10th in his home US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, in October after two cars ahead of him were disqualified for failing post-race checks, said he was grateful for the opportunity to continue developing as a driver.

"We have exciting plans for the future, and I can't wait to contribute to the team's success in the coming year," he added.

ALSO READ: General Motors plans F1 power unit supply to Andretti from 2028

Sargeant had been under pressure to raise his game and show he deserved his seat after 17 races without a point, with Albon racking up 23 over the same period.

His point in Austin, although owing much to fortune, provided some respite and he grew in confidence with a strong showing in Las Vegas qualifying last month when he secured seventh on the grid.

With other potential candidates failing to convince Williams, such as Mercedes reserve Mick Schumacher or Aston Martin's third driver Felipe Drugovich, Sargeant's position looked more secure.

The season starts in Bahrain on March 2.

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !