HKUST_Ad.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 13:58
White House plan to reduce troops in S. Korea draws skepticism
By Xinhua
Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 13:58 By Xinhua

The Republic of Korea's and US soldiers stand guard next to United Nations Command Military Armistice Commission (UNCMAC) conference buildings at the truce village of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) in Paju, the ROK, on April 18, 2018. (SEONG-JOON CHO / BLOOMBERG)

WASHINGTON - The White House is weighing the possibility of reducing US troops on the Korean Peninsula, a move that has drawn harsh criticism from inside US President Donald Trump's own party, as well as from US experts.

A US military official told the Wall Street Journal that the Pentagon reviewed the 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea, as part of a broader look at shifting deployments worldwide

US media reported recently that the Pentagon had given the White House options for the possible reduction of the US troop presence in South Korea, amid a battle with Seoul in which Washington is demanding significantly more cash to keep US forces there.

ALSO READ: S. Korean city seeks pre-arrival virus tests for US soldiers

A US military official told the Wall Street Journal that the Pentagon reviewed the 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea, as part of a broader look at shifting deployments worldwide.

"It looks like Trump is serious," Douglas Paal, vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, told Xinhua, adding that he believes the strategy is "disconnected and non-strategic."

Brookings Institution Senior Fellow Michael O'Hanlon held the same view. "I think Trump is serious about the idea," he said.

ALSO READ: ROK halts operation of 2 anti-DPRK groups over leafleting

Troy Stangarone, senior director at the Washington-based non-profit Korea Economic Institute, said that there are good reasons to consider a restructuring of US forces in South Korea. 

But in the absence of a vision for the future role for US troops there, "it is difficult to view this as little more than the latest effort to extract concessions from South Korea on burden sharing."

"President Trump has been clear that he does not value US alliances in the same way that prior US presidents have," Stangarone told Xinhua.

ALSO READ: Yonhap: US, S. Korea near tentative troop-funding deal

The possible move was lambasted by lawmakers in Trump's own party, including from Senator Ben Sasse, who labeled any such decision as "strategic incompetence."

Trump has caused much anxiety in Washington by threatening allies that he would remove US troops from various strategic areas. Last month the administration announced it would pull thousands of troops from Germany, claiming that allies are not paying their fair share of NATO costs.

For his part, Trump has long said US allies are taking advantage of the United States, arguing that Washington has footed the defense bill for years for several allies.

This comes at a time when the White House has already canceled a number of large US-South Korea military exercises in a bid to keep the nuclear talks on the Korean Peninsula going.

READ MORE: Korean workers at US base on furlough as cost sharing talks fail


Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !