
TEHRAN – Iran's Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has issued a directive stressing that the country's stockpile of enriched uranium must not be transferred abroad, Reuters cited two senior Iranian sources as saying on Thursday.
It added that one of the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, "The supreme leader's directive, and the consensus within the establishment, is that the stockpile of enriched uranium should not leave the country."
The sources noted that Iran's top officials believe that sending the material abroad would leave the country more vulnerable to future attacks by the United States and Israel.
They added there is "deep suspicion" in Iran that the pause in hostilities is a "tactical deception" by the United States to "create a sense of security" before renewing attacks.
One of the sources said there are "feasible formulas" to resolve the issue of Iran's enriched uranium, such as diluting the stockpile under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
According to the IAEA's estimates, Iran has over 440 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 percent purity. The stockpile is reportedly beneath the rubble of Iran's nuclear facilities bombed by the United States and Israel during the 12-day conflict in June 2025.
Meanwhile, the Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA) reported on Thursday that Iran is preparing its response to the latest draft proposal sent by the United States to end the conflict.
According to the ISNA, the US draft has narrowed the existing gaps to some extent, but the gaps' further reduction requires an end to the US "temptation of war".
ALSO READ: Iran reviewing US views amid message exchanges through Pakistan
It added that Iran is currently negotiating in Tehran on a broad framework, some details, and confidence-building measures as guarantees.
A visit by Pakistan's Army Chief Asim Munir to Tehran scheduled for Thursday is aimed at bridging these gaps and preparing for the official announcement of a memorandum of understanding's acceptance, the ISNA added.
'Iran cannot possess enriched uranium'
Also on Thursday, US President Donald Trump suggested that US control of Iran's enriched uranium stockpile would be part of any potential peace deal with Iran to guarantee that Iran cannot get a nuclear weapon.
"We'll probably destroy it after we get it, but we're not going to let them have it," Trump said at the White House.
The US president reiterated that Iran should not be allowed to develop a nuclear weapon.
"Right now, we're negotiating and we'll see, but either we're going to get it one way or the other. They're not gonna have a nuclear weapon," Trump told reporters. "We cannot let Iran have a nuclear weapon, that's all it is."

Tolls in Strait of Hormuz
Trump also said the United States does not want to impose tolls on vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz, reversing remarks he made last month suggesting Washington would collect such tolls.
"We want it open, we want it free. We don't want tolls," Trump told reporters. "It's an international waterway."
Though a newly formed Iranian agency has reportedly begun collecting tolls, Trump said Iran is "not charging tolls right now".
"There hasn't been a ship that's been able to get through without our approval," he added.
Earlier on Thursday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Tehran's plan to impose transit tolls would make a peace deal with Washington "unfeasible".
"No one in the world is in favor of a tolling system. It can't happen. It would be unacceptable," Rubio told reporters before leaving for a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Sweden. "It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that."
