In this photo dated June 4, 2021, Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni gives a speech at the Kololo Independence Grounds in Kampala. (PHOTO / AFP)
KAMPALA - Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni late Saturday said 54 of the country's peacekeeping troops were killed in a deadly attack last week in southwest Somalia.
The soldiers were killed after al-Shabaab, a militant group, overran a military base manned by a Ugandan contingent of the African Union Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS) at Bulo Marer town, about 120 km southwest of Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia.
The president also said al-Shabaab militants attempted to launch an attack on Baraawe town but were repelled by the Uganda peacekeepers
"Our soldiers demonstrated remarkable resilience and reorganized themselves, resulting in the recapture of the base. We discovered the lifeless bodies of 54 fallen soldiers, including a commander," according to a State House statement issued in Kampala, the capital of Uganda, quoting President Museveni as saying.
The president made the remarks while addressing the ruling party National Resistance Movement Parliamentary Caucus in the central district of Kyakwanzi.
The president also said al-Shabaab militants attempted to launch an attack on Baraawe town but were repelled by the Uganda peacekeepers. "They made an ill-fated attempt on Baraawe, but our forces dealt a significant blow, forcing them to flee," said Museveni.
The Ugandan military last week dispatched a team of experts to investigate the May 26 attack on its troops by the al-Shabaab.
Uganda is one of the troops-contributing countries to the ATMIS battling terrorists in Somalia, in addition to Burundi, Djibouti, Kenya and Ethiopia.
Copyright 1995 - 2023. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS