Residents line up to take COVID-19 nucleic acid tests in Macao, Aug 4, 2021. (XINHUA)
MACAO - The Macao Special Administrative Region's government announced the second mass nucleic acid test for all residents as health authorities reported another new COVID-19 infection on Saturday, bringing the tally to 66.
The latest infection was related to an imported case reported on Friday, according to the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center of Macao.
Starting Saturday, all people leaving Macao are required to present negative nucleic acid test reports effective within 48 hours
The center said the latest case involved a 32-year-old man of Nepalese nationality, working as a security guard for a local hotel. Previously, a 27-year-old Nepalese man who also worked as a security guard for the same hotel tested positive for COVID-19.
The areas where they live have been cordoned off, the center said.
They tested positive after the health authorities required staff of the hotel to go through testing following the imported case.
The imported case, a 31-year-old Macao resident who returned from Turkey via Singapore on Sept 18, was sent for medical observation at the hotel, the center said.
The SAR government announced on Saturday morning that anyone who is in the gambling hub between 3 pm Sept 25 and 3 pm Sept 28 must undergo the nucleic acid test.
A total of 52 testing stations have been set up across Macao. They operate 24 hours a day and booking is mandatory, the government said.
Starting Saturday, all those leaving Macao are required to present negative nucleic acid test reports effective within 48 hours.
The center also advised members of the public not to leave the city unless necessary. Ferry services with mainland cities including Shenzhen and Zhuhai have been canceled.
Schools are temporarily shut from Saturday, and sports and cultural events will also be canceled, according to the authorities.
With inputs from Agencies
Copyright 1995 - 2021. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS