People work at a factory of a toy-making company in Xiangtan, central China's Hunan province, March 6, 2020. (XUE YUGE/XINHUA)
The draft of China's 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-25) has mapped a number of major projects for the country, with development stability and improving people's living conditions as the focus, said a top official on Friday.
According to the draft plan, China will carry out major projects to defend long-term stability and address bottleneck problems regarding the safety of energy, food, supply chain and industrial chain, said He Lifeng, minister of the National Development and Reform Commission.
China will advance and embark on world-class infrastructure projects as well as plans to improve living conditions, such as revamping old urban communities, improving elderly and child care, and other public services to support the new urbanization strategy
Key projects to drive the country's future development will be carried out in areas such as quantum information and interstellar detection, He said at a news conference during the two sessions on Friday.
The country will also advance and embark on world-class infrastructure projects as well as plans to improve living conditions, such as revamping old urban communities, improving elderly and child care, and other public services to support the new urbanization strategy, He said.
The draft has set 20 main targets for the new five-year period regarding economic development, innovation, people's living, green development and safety, reflecting requirements of the new development philosophy, He said.
The targets were formulated based on actual conditions, have taken uncertainties into consideration, and can be realized via necessary efforts, He said.
ALSO READ: Li: New 5-Year Plan to focus on growth
"Through the implementation of the 14th Five-Year Plan, we are confident and determined that the country's economic and social development will enter a new stage by 2025 and create a better foundation for the country to basically achieve socialist modernization by 2035," He said.
According to him, the draft plan has been submitted to the two sessions for review and discussion and will be modified accordingly before taking effect.
Through the implementation of the 14th Five-Year Plan, we are confident and determined that the country's economic and social development will enter a new stage by 2025 and create a better foundation for the country to basically achieve socialist modernization by 2035.
He Lifeng, minister of the National Development and Reform Commission
Here are some of the highlights of the draft plan:
- China will put its economic development focus on the real economy, accelerating the building of the country's strength in manufacturing and quality
- China aims to keep its surveyed urban unemployment rate within 5.5 percent during the 2021-2025 period
- China will actively promote international cooperation on science and technology, and support the establishment of international sci-tech organizations in the country
- China will improve the punitive damages system for intellectual property rights infringements and increase the extent of compensation
- China will promote the development of the "Silk Road in the Air," and will promote the development of Fujian Province and Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region as core areas of the Belt and Road
- China aims to create new competitive strengths in the digital economy and promote in-depth integration of digital technologies with the real economy
- China aims to increase disposable income per capita basically in line with gross domestic product (GDP) growth during the 2021-2025 period
- China upholds the multilateral trading system and the status of developing members of the World Trade Organization
- China will continue to make efforts to improve the business environment which is based on market principles, governed by law and up to international standards
- China will actively participate in international cooperation in prevention and control of major infectious diseases
- China will strive to ensure that no systemic risks emerge
- China will promote diversification of its industrial and supply chains amid efforts to make them more modernized
- China will speed up the construction of new infrastructure, and use digital technology to upgrade traditional infrastructure
- China will strengthen the protection of data concerning state interests, commercial secrets and personal privacy over the next five years. It will also advance legislation on data security and personal information protection
- China will further open its service sector to both domestic and international market participants
- China will make efforts to develop professional sports events with international influence
- China will comprehensively advance the building of Healthy China, holding people's health as a strategic priority
- China will stay vigilant against and resolutely deter separatist activities seeking "Taiwan independence"
With Xinhua inputs
HONG KONG NEWS