RT-Banner-2020C.gif

China Daily

News> Hong Kong> Content
Sunday, July 12, 2020, 20:28
HK reports 38 new COVID-19 cases, 30 locally transmitted
By Wang Zhan
Sunday, July 12, 2020, 20:28 By Wang Zhan

Pedestrians wearing masks to protect themselves against the coronavirus walk across a street in Hong Kong on July 10, 2020. (PHOTO/BLOOMBERG)

Hong Kong reported 38 new infections of the coronavirus on Sunday, of which 30 were locally transmitted cases, bringing the total tally of confirmed cases to 1,469, the health authorities said. 

Chuang also urged Kowloon East residents exhibiting coronavirus symptoms to see a doctor immediately and ask for a COVID-19 test given many newly confirmed cases are linked to the area.

The Centre for Health Protection said of the 30 local cases, 17 were linked to patients previously infected and 13 were cases with unknown sources of infection.

At a press briefing, the centre’s Communicable Disease Branch Head Chuang Shuk-kwan said as the COVID-19 outbreak widens in the city, members of public should stay vigilant against the disease.

“I think that both the government and the public may have to tighten up the measures to maintain social distancing and avoid going out as much as possible to try to curb the epidemic.”

Chuang also urged Kowloon East residents exhibiting coronavirus symptoms to see a doctor immediately and ask for a COVID-19 test given many newly confirmed cases are linked to the area.

“If any of the residents, especially those living in Kowloon East, if they develop any symptoms, please go see a doctor as soon as possible and ask for a (COVID-19) test.

“This is more important than waiting for us to send them (specimen) bottles for testing, because that would be more time consuming and also the yield would be very low,” she said.

She also advised concerned residents to stay at home as much as possible and avoid social gatherings.

“While waiting for tests, do not go to gatherings and see friends and avoid social activities.”

On Friday, Secretary for Education Kevin Yeung Yun-hung announced that secondary and primary schools as well as kindergartens would suspend class starting coming Monday.

And on Thursday, Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan Siu-chee said the government decided to strengthen social distancing measures to curb such activities.

Chan announced that in local restaurants, bans on groups of more than eight per table will be re-enacted, while the total number of customers must not exceed 60 percent of total seating capacity.

For bars and nightclubs, no more than four people per table will be allowed, and the occupancy rate will be capped at 60 percent.

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !