A pedestrian crosses a street in Tseung Kwan O with Typhoon Signal No 8 and a Red Rainstorm Warning in force as the remnants of Typhoon Koinu lash the city on Oct 9, 2023. (CALVIN NG / CHINA DAILY)
HONG KONG – The Hong Kong leader said on Tuesday that he had instructed relevant government bureaus and the transportation sector to conduct a study on how to improve public transport arrangements under extreme weather conditions.
Speaking to the media ahead of the weekly Executive Council meeting, John Lee Ka-chiu said the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government was on full alert in order to reduce the impacts brought about by Typhoon Koinu.
“We have consolidated our experience from Typhoon Saola and the ‘unprecedented’ amount of rainfall (in early September). We have increased the dissemination of information and provided the latest information about forecasts of typhoon and rainstorm signals,” he said, adding that the audio and visual information about possible floods was disseminated as soon as possible when the Typhoon Signal No. 8 was hoisted on Sunday.
Lee pointed out some incidents where some local residents and travelers were stranded as most public transportation services were suspended after the Hong Kong Observatory had replaced Typhoon Signal No. 8 with No. 9 at short notice on Sunday night.
“This is not ideal. This is why I have asked the Transport and Logistics Bureau to work with the MTR Corporation, the Airport Authority and the transportation sector to work out plans and look for better ways (for the transportation arrangements).”
ALSO READ: Rough night for commuters as Typhoon Koinu hits
Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu speaks to the media ahead of an Executive Council meeting on Oct 10, 2023. (PHOTO / HKSAR GOVERNMENT)
The chief executive expressed his hope that a contingency plan would be achieved to deal with extreme situations involving need for emergency transportation.
He also praised the HKO’s efforts in giving advanced notices, saying that the forecast system was of international standards.
“No matter how well they (the HKO) did, it (Typhoon Koinu) has evolved rapidly. Where technologically possible, the HKO tried to give advanced notices. There are still limitations in the current technology. There were many uncertainties over how Koinu could evolve,” he said, adding that the observatory had done their best and the government could always do better.
ALSO READ: Remnants of Typhoon Koinu bring floods to Hong Kong
The government would look for other possibilities in the currenct technology and the HKO would continue to work on this, he added.
Typhoon Signal No. 9 was relatively rare and after Signal No. 8 was issued, the HKO had reminded the public in advance that there would be a chance for a higher signal, he said, adding that people should have this mindset and stay alert.
Deputy Chief Secretary for Administration Warner Cheuk Wing-hing (center), Secretary for Culture, Sports and Tourism Kevin Yeung Yun-hung (first right), lawmaker and leader of the Hong Kong delegation to the Asian Games Kenneth Fok Kai-kong (first left) and athletes of Hong Kong, China pose for a group photo during the welcome home ceremony for Hong Kong, China delegation to the 19th Asian Games, at the Hong Kong International Airport on Oct 9, 2023. The Hong Kong delegation arrives back to the city as the Hangzhou Asian Games wraps up on Oct 8. (ANDY CHONG / CHINA DAILY)
Homecoming ceremony for HK Asiad delegates
A homecoming ceremony for the Hong Kong delegation to the 19th Asian Games will be held on Saturday, said the CE.
He said he felt very proud of the Hong Kong delegation’s achievements at the Asiad as it had surpassed its previous performance winning 53 medals.
“The delegation has done their best. They have showcased their professionalism and their arduous efforts in training,” he said, adding that it also showed the resources the government had put in sports development had been used appropriately.
Nominations from DCs election committees
Asked whether the member lists for the District Councils election committees should be disclosed, the CE said the names of the prospective candidates needed to fight for nominations from the committees and the authorities had referred about 100 requests for contact with the committee members.
READ MORE: CE: HK team’s performance at Asiad makes the city proud
It was up to the members’ decision to give the candidates the nomination to run for DCs election after the referral, he added.
