Published: 10:01, March 1, 2023 | Updated: 10:04, March 1, 2023
ManU, Palace fined 55,000 pounds each for mass confrontation
By Reuters

Crystal Palace's Will Hughes (center) argues with Manchester United's Casemiro during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester United and Crystal Palace, at the Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, on Feb 4, 2023. (PHOTO / AP)

Manchester United and Crystal Palace have both been fined 55,000 pounds ($66,506) for a mass confrontation between their players in a Premier League match earlier this month, England's Football Association (FA) said on Tuesday.

The incident took place in the second half of the Feb 4 game - which United won 2-1 at home - where Casemiro was shown a straight red card for appearing to grab Will Hughes by the throat when both teams clashed following a tackle on Antony.

United accepted the that they had failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and refrained from provocative behaviour but Palace had denied the charge.

Referee Andre Marriner shows a red card to Manchester United's Casemiro (right) during the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Crystal Palace, at the Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, Feb 4, 2023. (PHOTO / AP)

"An independent Regulatory Commission subsequently found the charge against Crystal Palace proven and imposed both of the clubs' fines," the FA said.

READ MORE: Liverpool, Everton charged for 'mass confrontation' in derby

United, who are third in the standings, next host West Ham United in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Wednesday while 12th-placed Palace are away at Aston Villa in the Premier League on Saturday.