Published: 14:45, August 18, 2026
Tai Po fire report put off till end of October
By Shamim Ashraf
Engineers carry out follow-up work in one of the buildings ravaged by the fatal Nov 26, 2026 fire in Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Hong Kong's Tai Po district, on March 24, 2026. (EDMOND TANG / CHINA DAILY)

HONG KONG – An independent committee probing last year’s deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has secured a time extension from Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu to submit its report by the end of October.

Stressing that the issues within its terms of reference are numerous and complex in nature, with many parties involved, the committee said on Tuesday it needs more time to analyze and study information it has received from various parties.

“In view of this, the committee has sought agreement from the Chief Executive to extend the time for submitting its report, and the Chief Executive has given his consent,” it said in a statement.

The Wang Fuk Court housing estate was being renovated when the blaze tore through seven of its eight towers on Nov 26, leaving 168 people dead – the city’s worst inferno in almost eight decades.

RELATED ARTICLES

The committee, set up by the CE on Dec 12 last year to review the cause of the disaster and recommend measures to prevent similar incidents, began its work a week later with the aim of completing a report within nine months.

Members of the committee visited the fire site, invited residents and representatives of organizations from January to April this year to come forward with information, and held 30 days of hearings between March 19 and July 17 to gather evidence from 80 witnesses, as well as experts’ reports and submissions from legal representatives of the parties involved.

The committee also ascertained the relevant facts through written statements submitted by individuals and organizations besides evidence submitted in other forms.

It said on Tuesday it has begun drafting the report while continuing to process the written evidence, and is still receiving other materials, including more than one million files.

“As the committee has to reach its findings and conclusions, and formulate recommendations within its terms of reference that are grounded in a factual framework, more time is required for it to analyze and study the large amount of information submitted by various parties,” it said.

The committee pledged to continue discharging its duties in accordance with the principles of fairness, openness and impartiality, saying it will carefully review and consider every item of information received from various parties in preparing its findings.