Debris from a dinghy which was supposedly carrying over 100 migrants are seen floating in the Mediterranean Sea northeast of the Libyan capital, Tripoli, April 22, 2021. (PHOTO / AP)
TRIPOLI - Six bodies have been found and 29 others remained missing after a wooden boat carrying 35 illegal migrants capsized off the country's western coast, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Saturday.
IOM said the missing migrants were "presumed dead" in the Saturday incident that took place off the Libyan city of Sabratha, adding that a total of 53 migrants have been reported dead or missing over the past week.
The International Organization for Migration said a total of 53 migrants have been reported dead or missing over the past week
"Human lives are the cost of inaction. Dedicated search and rescue capacity and a safe disembarkation mechanism are urgently needed to prevent further deaths and suffering," IOM said.
Libya has been suffering insecurity and chaos since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, making the North African country a preferred point of departure for illegal migrants who want to cross the Mediterranean Sea to European shores.
A total of 3,968 illegal migrants were rescued and returned to Libya so far this year, including 375 women and 169 minors, according to IOM.
Copyright 1995 - 2022. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS