In this file photo dated Aug 13, 2015, US army soldiers walk as a NATO helicopter flies overhead at coalition force Forward Operating Base (FOB) Connelly in the Khogyani district in the eastern province of Nangarhar, Afghanistan. (WAKIL KOHSAR/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)
WASHINGTON - The United States will launch "Operation Allies Refuge" in late July to evacuate Afghans who helped the US military during the two-decade war, the White House said on Wednesday.
"Flights out of Afghanistan for SIV (Special Immigrant Visa) applicants who are already in the pipeline will begin in the last week of July and will continue," White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters in a daily briefing. "Our objective is to get individuals who are eligible relocated out of the country in advance of the withdrawal of troops at the end of August."
According to media reports, an estimated 18,000 applicants are already awaiting visas, with an estimated 53,000 family members seeking to accompany them
She did not provide a specific number of qualified applicants, citing operational and security reasons.
"We are working closely with Congress to change the authorization legislation so that we can streamline the process of approving these visas," she said.
According to media reports, an estimated 18,000 applicants are already awaiting visas, with an estimated 53,000 family members seeking to accompany them, and the application process can take as long as 800 days.
The Biden administration has been facing pressure from lawmakers to work out a plan to evacuate Afghans who helped the US military and are vulnerable to Taliban reprisals amid the withdrawal of US troops.
President Joe Biden announced last week that US military mission in Afghanistan will conclude on Aug 31, days ahead of his original Sept 11 deadline. US Central Command said Tuesday that the US military had completed over 95 percent of the withdrawal.
The security situation in the war-torn country has deteriorated as Taliban militants continue heavy fighting against government forces and gain ground since the drawdown of US troops on May 1.
Copyright 1995 - 2023. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS