A handout photo taken and released by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on March 29, 2020 shows Saudi-led coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Malki giving explanations during a press conference, in Riyadh, on the displayed missile's debris fired on March 28 by Yemeni Houthi military group. (SPA / AFP)
CAIRO - The Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen said on Thursday it intercepted and destroyed an explosive-laden drone launched by Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis towards the Saudi Arabian city of Najran, state news agency (SPA) reported.
Earlier on Thursday, the coalition said it intercepted and destroyed another drone launched by Houthis towards Najran.
ALSO READ: Yemen's Houthis block flights to Sanaa as economic warfare rages
Yemen has been locked in conflict since 2014 when the Houthis seized Sanaa, the capital, and then much of the country’s north. Fighting escalated in March 2015 when the Saudi-led coalition intervened to restore the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
READ MORE: Yemen's Houthis say they fired drones at Saudi Arabia's Abha airport
The war has killed more than 100,000 people, and left 80 percent of the population reliant on aid and millions on the brink of famine, according to humanitarian organisations.
HONG KONG NEWS