RT-Banner-2020C.gif

China Daily

News> Nation> Content
Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 22:56
No new virus cases detected as Wuhan screens 9.9m people
By Xinhua
Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 22:56 By Xinhua

Job seekers wait to enter the job fair held at Jianghan University in Wuhan, central China's Hubei province, on June 1, 2020. (CHENG MIN / XINHUA)

BEIJING/WUHAN/CHANGCHUN/HARBIN - Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei province, tested 9,899,828 people between May 14 and June 1 in a citywide drive to screen novel coronavirus infections, according to a press conference on Tuesday.

No confirmed COVID-19 cases were found in the process, said Lu Zuxun, professor with Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science & Technology.

After the citywide tests, Wuhan residents, who have made great sacrifices during the city's lockdown, will also lift their psychological lockdown.

 Lu Zuxun, professor, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science & Technology

Meanwhile, 300 asymptomatic cases were found and quarantined, as well as 1,174 people in close contact with those cases. Everyone in the latter group tested negative for infection, according to Lu.

On May 14, Wuhan launched a campaign to offer nucleic acid tests to those who have not tested before. Officials said the move was aimed at tracing asymptomatic cases and reassuring society as the city reopens its factories, businesses and schools.

ALSO READ: Hubei ramps up virus screening

Executive deputy mayor Hu Yabo said the city spent 900 million yuan (US$126 million) on the tests, which was "totally worthwhile" as it reassured Wuhan residents, as well as the whole nation, and will help the city bring its social and economic activities back on track.

"After the citywide tests, Wuhan residents, who have made great sacrifices during the city's lockdown, will also lift their psychological lockdown," he said.

The city's health commission said the tests are voluntary and free, with all costs borne by city and district governments.

Li Lanjuan, a renowned Chinese epidemiologist, said the campaign brought the total number of nucleic acid testees in Wuhan to 10.9 million. This means "full coverage" of the city's population, except for children under six, who were not advised to take the tests.

No new local cases on mainland

Chinese health authorities said Tuesday that no new COVID-19 cases transmitted locally were reported on the Chinese mainland on Monday.

A total of five imported cases were reported on the mainland. Among them, two were reported in Sichuan province and one in Shanghai, Guangdong province and Shaanxi province respectively, the National Health Commission said in its daily report.

No deaths related to the disease or new suspected cases were reported Monday, according to the commission.

On Monday, eight people were discharged from hospitals after recovery.

Five imported cases were reported on the mainland, of which two were reported in Sichuan province and one in Shanghai, Guangdong province and Shaanxi province, respectively, the National Health Commission said

As of Monday, the overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 83,022, including 73 patients still undergoing treatment, 78,315 people who had been discharged after recovery, and 4,634 people who had died of the disease.

READ MORE: China's COVID-19 vaccine may begin mass output this year

By Monday, the mainland had reported a total of 1,761 imported cases. Out of those cases, 1,698 had been discharged from hospitals after recovery while 63 remained hospitalized. No deaths from imported cases had been reported.

The commission said two cases, both imported from overseas, were suspected of being infected with the virus.

According to the commission, 4,642 close contacts were still under medical observation after 547 people were released from medical observation Monday.

Also on Monday, 10 new asymptomatic cases were reported on the mainland, including eight from overseas. Two cases were re-categorized as confirmed cases, and 34 asymptomatic cases were released from medical observation.

The commission said 371 asymptomatic cases, including 39 from overseas, were still under medical observation.

Jilin

No newly confirmed cases and asymptomatic cases were reported in northeast China's Jilin province on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.

As of Monday, Jilin had reported zero new confirmed cases of local transmission for nine consecutive days.

READ MORE: Sharing of scientific data seen as vital in virus fight

By Monday, the province had reported a total of 136 of such cases, including two deaths and 128 recoveries.

As of Monday, Jilin had reported zero new confirmed cases of local transmission for nine consecutive days

There were still six patients receiving treatment in hospital, all in the city of Jilin, with two in severe condition. A total of 1,627 people in close contact with local  cases had been placed under medical observation, of which 1,114 had been released from medical observation.

Hubei

Central China's Hubei province reported no new confirmed cases and asymptomatic cases on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.  

By Monday, Hubei had three confirmed cases, including one in severe condition.

Thirty-one asymptomatic cases were released from quarantine on Monday, reducing the total number of such cases under medical observation to 289.

By Monday, Hubei had reported a total of 68,135 confirmed cases, and 63,620 recoveries. A total of 4,512 people had died of the disease in the province.

ALSO READ: No proof COVID-19, Kawasaki disease are linked

Heilongjiang

No new confirmed cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang province on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.

There were reports of two new asymptomatic cases, bringing the number of such cases to 15.

A total of 253 close contacts in the province were still under medical observation.

By Monday, the province had reported a total of 559 confirmed cases transmitted locally and 386 imported cases.

HK, Macao, Taiwan

By Monday, 1,087 confirmed cases, including four deaths, had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 45 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 443 in Taiwan, including seven deaths.

A total of 1,037 patients in Hong Kong, 45 in Macao, and 427 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospitals after recovery.  


Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !