621x74 (2).gif

China Daily

News> Hong Kong> Content
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 22:14
HK total visitor arrivals in 2019 down 14.2% amid unrest
By Luo Weiteng
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 22:14 By Luo Weiteng

Chinese mainland tourists walk past a Tiffany & Co store on Canton Road, Hong Kong, Nov 28, 2018. (KIN CHEUNG / AP)

Total visitor arrivals in Hong Kong last year plunged 14.2 percent year-on-year to nearly 56 million as travelers shunned the city which has been rocked by violent protests since mid-June.

READ MORE: HK reports worrying drop in tourist arrivals

According to data published by the Hong Kong Tourism Board on Wednesday, visitor arrivals in the first half of 2019 increased by 13.9 percent compared with the same period a year earlier.

The Hong Kong Tourism Board said it was redoubling efforts to retain Hong Kong’s appeal as a world-class travel destination in short-haul markets, including the launch of a campaign last month to promote some 500 offers on a dedicated online platform

The number started to fall in July, shortly after the social unrest stemming from the extradition bill incident began, and plummeted by almost 40 percent in the second half.

Hard-pressed local retailers are feeling the pinch from the prolonged industry-wide downturn. Cosmetics retail chain Sa Sa said it planned to shut down as many as a quarter of its stores over the next 18 months when their leases expire. The majority of the stores are located in prime tourist districts, which were hardest-hit by the turmoil, the retailer chain said. The first batch of seven stores will close by the end of March.

HKTB Chairman Pang Yiu-kai said the city’s battered tourism industry had faced “exceptional challenges” in the past year. The government-sponsored body is redoubling efforts to retain Hong Kong’s appeal as a world-class travel destination in short-haul markets like India, Indonesia, the Philippines, South Korea and Thailand. It will soon extend tourism promotional campaigns to Japan and other long-haul markets.

ALSO READ: Chilly winter' for Hong Kong tourism industry

The board launched a brand new tactical campaign called “Hong Kong is ON” early last month to promote more than 500 offers on a dedicated online platform, covering flights, hotels, dining, retail and attractions in a bid to lure visitors back and help the struggling tourism sector weather the storm. 


sophia@chinadailyhk.com

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !