Published: 10:41, August 22, 2026
President: Better to end conflict now as Iran in position of power
By Xinhua
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian speaks during his visit to the headquarters of Iran's Red Crescent Society (IRCS) in Tehran, Iran, April 15, 2026. (PHOTO/XINHUA)

TEHRAN/MUSCAT – Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Friday that it is better to end the conflict now as Iran is in a position of "power and dignity".

Pezeshkian made the remarks at the 31st General Assembly of the Islamic Association of the Iranian Medical Society in the capital Tehran, where he stressed that the conflict with the United States must end at some point, according to a statement published on his office's website.

"It is better that we end the war today when we are in a position of power and dignity, and the entire world acknowledges our victory and emphasizes that the United States, in violation of all (international) regulations, has attacked our schools, hospitals, and infrastructure, and is hated in the world," he said.

Pezeshkian described the peace memorandum of understanding signed between Iran and the United States in June as "honorable and valuable", stressing that not a single provision of the MoU suggests surrender and that all obligations fall on the other party.

ALSO READ: US-Iran pact expires with no breakthrough

He noted that what was accomplished during the negotiations with the United States was a "great achievement", which was approved with "unity and solidarity" in Iran's Supreme National Security Council, and all members of the council defended it decisively.

The president, however, emphasized that Iran will not surrender if attacked again, saying, "We will under no circumstance bow to bullying, and there is no doubt about it."

"We will stand against them until our last breath and will give them a crushing response," he said, adding that Iran's military commanders and armed forces are "wholeheartedly and selflessly" in full readiness to defend the country.

On June 18, Iran and the United States signed the MoU on ending their conflict in the region on all fronts. Under the MoU, the two countries were scheduled to hold negotiations within a period of 60 days, which ended on Monday, to reach a final agreement. However, the fate of the talks remains unclear following an escalation between the two countries last month.

'Anti-Iran economic operation doomed to fail'

Writing on social media platform X on Friday, Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said the US anti-Iran economic operation is doomed to fail like its other coercive measures against the country.

"14 years ago: 'Most crippling sanctions in history.' Failed. 8 years ago: 'Maximum pressure.' Failed. 5 months ago: 'Unconditional surrender.' Failed. Today: 'Most crushing economic operation ever.' Bound to fail," Araghchi said.

The remarks came after US President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday "the most crushing economic operation ever taken" against any country providing a lifeline to Iran.

ALSO READ: Trump expands economic warfare against Iran

"This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale," Trump posted on Truth Social, calling the move "an ECONOMIC D-DAY".

Hormuz freedom of navigation 

During a phone call on Friday, Araghchi and his Omani counterpart Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi discussed efforts to restore freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, according to Oman's Foreign Ministry.

The two ministers discussed developments concerning navigation through the strategic waterway and stressed the need to continue talks toward practical understandings that would facilitate the resumption and smooth flow of navigation while supporting regional security and stability, the ministry said.

They also reviewed the latest regional developments and efforts to create conditions for resuming dialogue and negotiations aimed at narrowing differences and reaching peaceful solutions to outstanding issues.