
JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and visiting US President Donald Trump's son-in-law and envoy Jared Kushner agreed on Monday to establish two working groups to advance the demilitarization of Gaza and address infrastructure and public health needs in the war-devastated enclave, according to Netanyahu's office.
The meeting was also attended by Nickolay Mladenov, "high representative for Gaza" of the US-led "Board of Peace."
Netanyahu's office described the talks as "deep and constructive."
ALSO READ: Netanyahu says Israel rejects US-backed 15-point Gaza peace plan
One working group will focus on the disarmament and demilitarization of Gaza, the office said in a statement, noting that Israel and the "Board of Peace" are "determined" that demilitarization be completed before reconstruction begins.
A second group will focus on sanitation, clean water and other public health issues in Gaza, it said.
Kushner arrived in Israel a day after holding talks with Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt – a rare direct meeting as part of efforts to advance the Gaza ceasefire plan.
Earlier this month, Netanyahu rejected a US-backed 15-point roadmap for Gaza, saying Israel will not withdraw its forces from the enclave until Hamas is fully disarmed.
