Published: 12:35, September 21, 2023 | Updated: 12:57, September 21, 2023
Morocco to spend $11.7b for five-year post-quake recovery
By Reuters

A man who lost his wife and daughter in the earthquake, sits in what used to be his home, in the town of Amizmiz, outside Marrakech, Morocco, Thursday, Sept 14, 2023. (PHOTO / AP)

RABAT — Morocco plans to spend at least 120 billion dirhams ($11.7 billion) in a post-earthquake reconstruction plan over the next five years, the royal palace said on Wednesday.

A 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck on Sept 8, killing more than 2,900 people, mostly in the hard-to-reach villages of the High Atlas mountains.

The royal palace said the plan would be funded by the govenrment's budget, international aid and by a fund set up in response to the quake

The plan would target 4.2 million people in the worst-hit provinces of Al Haouz, Chichaoua, Taroudant, Marrakech, Ouarzazate and Azizlal, the royal palace said, following a meeting of King Mohammed VI with government and army officials.

READ MORE: Powerful earthquake in Morocco kills more than 800 people

The plan covers rehousing and the upgrade of infrastructure in a way that is conducive to social and economic development in the quake-hit areas, it said in the statement.

The quake-stricken areas are among Morocco's poorest, with many remote villages lacking proper roads and public services.

The royal palace said the plan would be funded by the govenrment's budget, international aid and by a fund set up in response to the quake.

The fund has so far received some $700 million in donations.

READ MORE: Morocco quake death toll passes 2,800, survivors camp outdoors

Last week, the palace said that 50,000 houses were known to have been damaged and that authorities would provide shelter and 30,000 dirhams ($3,000) to affected households.It also pledged to offer reconstruction aid of 140,000 dirhams for collapsed homes and 80,000 for damaged ones.