Published: 10:28, December 20, 2020 | Updated: 07:38, June 5, 2023
Liverpool crush Crystal Palace, Everton move to second
By Xinhua

Everton's English striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin (left) and Everton's Italian head coach Carlo Ancelotti reacts after the final whistle of the English Premier League football match between Everton and Arsenal at Goodison Park in Liverpool, north west England on Dec 19, 2020. (PHOTO / AFP)

LONDON - Liverpool assured they will spend the Christmas period as Premier League leaders by sending out a warning to their rivals with a 7-0 win over Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Any doubts about the tiredness of Jurgen Klopp's side after their dramatic late win at home to Tottenham on Wednesday night were soon dispelled when Takumi Minamino opened the scoring in the third minute.

Liverpool produced three shots and scored three goals in the first 45 minutes and the story remained the same after the break 

Sadio Mane doubled the lead in the 35th minute and Roberto Firmino made it 3-0 on the stroke of halftime.

Liverpool produced three shots and scored three goals in the first 45 minutes and the story remained the same after the break with Jordan Henderson getting his name on the scoresheet in the 52nd minute before Firmino netted his second.

READ MORE: Mourinho plays down Spurs expectations, questions Liverpool's injury crisis

Two goals from Mohamed Salah, who came on as a 57th-minute substitute for Mane, in the last 10 minutes rounded off the scoring on a day Liverpool again looked like champions-elect.

Mikel Arteta's return to Goodison Park, where he spent six seasons as a player ended in a 2-1 defeat to Everton which increases the pressure on the Arsenal coach.

Rob Holding's unfortunate own goal in the 22nd minute put Everton in front. Although Nicolas Pepe's penalty after a foul by Andre Gomes leveled the score in the 33rd minute, Yerry Mina's powerful 45th-minute header gave Everton the three points.

The win lifts Everton into second place, while 14 points from 14 games is Arsenal's worst start to a season since the 1974-1975 season.

ALSO READ: Liverpool go clear at top, Everton beat Leicester

Raheem Sterling's 16th-minute goal was enough to give Manchester City a 1-0 win away to Southampton, who had gone into the match in third place.

Pep Guardiola's side was happy to dig in and defend their lead with John Stones producing another improved display at the heart of their defense in a slightly un-City-like performance in which grit took precedence over flowing football.

Newcastle United was held to a 1-1 draw by Fulham, who took the lead through Matt Richie's 42nd-minute own goal only for Callum Wilson to equalize from the penalty spot in the 64th minute. Fulham's Joachim Andersen was sent off for committing the penalty, but Newcastle failed to score a winning goal in the last 25 minutes.