Published: 09:57, August 29, 2025
Son leads way as MLS smashes transfer spending record
By Reuters
Son Heung-min, of South Korea, is introduced as a new member of Los Angeles FC during a press conference for the MLS soccer team, Aug 6, 2025, in Los Angeles. (PHOTO / AP)

LOS ANGELES - Major League Soccer clubs smashed the league's transfer spending record in 2025, laying out about $336 million on player acquisitions led by LAFC's blockbuster acquisition of Son Heung-min from Tottenham, the league told Reuters this week.

The total outlay was nearly double the previous MLS record of $188 million set in 2024 and would have ranked eighth among global leagues last year, ahead of Mexico's Liga MX and Argentina's Primera Division. It represents a 75 percent year-on-year increase in spending.

READ MORE: 'Sonny in LA' - Son Heung-min joins LAFC in MLS record deal

MLS teams broke the league's individual transfer fee record three times in 2025, most recently by LAFC's reported $26.5 million deal for South Korea captain Son, followed by Atlanta United's acquisition of Emmanuel Latte Lath for $22 million and FC Cincinnati's move for Kevin Denkey at $16.3 million.

Eight clubs set new internal transfer records, with Austin FC doing so twice, while nearly half of MLS teams have completed a club-record signing in the past two years.

There were 169 international arrivals in 2025, spanning 50 countries and averaging 25.2 years of age.

Then Tottenham Hotspur's Son Heung-min (second right) fights for the ball against Newcastle United's Bruno Guimaraes during the pre-season friendly match at Seoul World Cup Stadium in Seoul, South Korea, Aug 3, 2025. (PHOTO / AP)

Top-flight leagues most targeted by MLS sides included Brazil (11 signings), Argentina (10), England (8) and Portugal (8). Teams executed at least eight deals worth $10 million or more.

From January 1 to February 4 - typically MLS's busiest window - the United States ranked sixth worldwide in transfer expenditure at $145 million and seventh in revenue at $125 million, with outgoing fees up 126 percent versus the same period in 2024.

Seven players departed MLS for fees of at least $10 million in 2025, and nine clubs set new records for outgoing transfers.

READ MORE: Tottenham's Son bids emotional farewell in South Korea

The league said its new "cash-for-player" trade rule, introduced in January, has reshaped intra-league movement by allowing clubs to trade directly for players without using General Allocation Money or other assets such as draft picks.

In its first season, the mechanism accounted for more than $40 million across 11 players, a development MLS says has helped keep top performers in the league while allowing selling clubs to realize value.

Notable trades under the new system included moves for Evander to FC Cincinnati, Djordje Mihailovic to Toronto FC, Jack McGlynn to Houston Dynamo, Daniel Gazdag to Columbus Crew, Luciano Acosta to FC Dallas and Dejan Joveljic to Sporting Kansas City.