Spain's head coach Luis Enrique reacts to supporters at the end of the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Morocco and Spain, at the Education City Stadium in Al Rayyan, Qatar, Dec 6, 2022. (MARTIN MEISSNER / AP)
DOHA - Spain coach Luis Enrique lauded his young players after their penalty shootout last-16 World Cup exit at the hands of Morocco on Tuesday, saying they did everything he asked of them except score as the 2010 world champions bowed out in Qatar.
"I am more than satisfied with my team. They represented my ideas and my style and I can only praise for them for their attitude in the whole World Cup," the former Barcelona coach told reporters.
Asked about Luis Enrique's future - the coach's contract was due to run until the end of Spain's involvement in the World Cup - he said he did not know what lay ahead but he was very happy to be with the national team
"I would also like to congratulate Morocco for their win. They were better than us in the penalty shootout."
Spain dominated possession against the North Africans who, roared by tens of thousands of red-shirted fans, defended for much of the 120 minutes which ended with no goals before Morocco won the shootout 3-0.
ALSO READ: World Cup quarter-finals 2022: Which teams have qualified?
Asked about his future - the coach's contract was due to run until the end of Spain's involvement in the World Cup - he said he did not know what lay ahead but he was very happy to be with the national team.
'Not even in my wildest dreams' - Three-goal Ramos stunned by Portugal call-up
"This is not the right time to talk about my future," he said. "My contract is going to end, as you know, but I am very happy with the national team."
Luis Enrique first took on the Spain coach role in 2018 after their last-16 World Cup penalty shootout defeat earlier that year to hosts Russia but stood down as his daughter fought a losing battle against cancer. He returned to the job in 2019.
ALSO READ: Morocco becoming first Arab country to qualify for quarter final
He has been linked with jobs at top European clubs in media reports.
Asked by reporters whether he would have done anything differently in the shootout defeat on Tuesday, he said he would once again back the same three players who failed to convert their spotkicks, two of them saved by Morocco's Yassine Bounou.
"If we had another shootout, I would only change Bounou," he said.
PLA monitors US, Canadian warships in Taiwan Strait
Xi extends condolences over deadly train accident in India
Shenzhou XV crew lands in Inner Mongolia
AU Commission calls for end to violence in Senegal
Chinese delegation: 'Leadership' does not imply hegemony
Copyright 1995 - 2023. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS