South Korea's Son Heung-min smiles during a press conference after a training session at Al Egla Training Site 5 in Doha on Nov16, 2022, ahead of the Qatar 2022 World Cup football tournament. (JUNG YEON-JE / AFP)
South Korea captain Son Heung-min said he is unsure if he can play in all their matches at the Qatar World Cup starting on Sunday after undergoing surgery this month to stabilise a fracture around his left eye.
Son Heung-min said he was getting used to playing with the mask on and that the swelling on his face had reduced
Son was included in South Korea's squad for the tournament despite suffering a fractured eye socket playing for Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League earlier this month.
ALSO READ: Argentina's WCup squad could change, says boss Scalon
The 30-year-old midfielder, who will wear a protective mask during South Korea's matches in Qatar, had his first training session with the team in Doha on Wednesday.
"I'm not a doctor. It's difficult for me to say when I can play," Son, whose side begin their campaign in Group H against Uruguay on Nov 24, told reporters.
"I'll do the best I can under the circumstances. But it's tough for me to say right now that I will play every game.
ALSO READ: FIFA to crack down on online discrimination during WCup
"From the fans' perspective, I may be pushing this too far. But football players always compete under such risks. I just want to give our fans joy and hope. I'm more than willing to bear those risks."
Son said he was getting used to playing with the mask on and that the swelling on his face had reduced.
"These carbon masks are really light and they likely won't break," Son said. "And if a mask breaks, it means something has happened to my face. So I hope it doesn't come to that."
ALSO READ: Coach: Germany's Mueller, Ruediger to be fit for World Cup opener
South Korea, who will be making their 10th consecutive appearance at the World Cup finals, also take on Ghana and Portugal in their group.
China sets up national financial regulatory administration
Amazon's cloud unit to invest $13 billion in India by 2030
Asian stocks rally on Wall Street's lead amid debt ceiling optimism
Prince Harry, Meghan say they were pursued by paparazzi in New York
CE condemns US politicians for 'pressuring HK judges'
Copyright 1995 - 2023. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS