2024 RT Amination Banner.gif

China Daily

News> Business> Content
Published: 17:52, July 28, 2022
Macao invites casino license bids from July 29
By Agencies
Published:17:52, July 28, 2022 By Agencies

In this undated photo, an employee cleans a blackjack table inside the Galaxy Macao Phase 2 casino in Macao. (PHOTO/CHINA DAILY)

HONG KONG - Macao’s government said on Thursday that global gaming operators can submit bids for new licenses from July 29 until Sept 14, kicking off a highly anticipated process to secure a spot in the world’s biggest casino hub.

The licenses of the six current operators Sands China, Wynn Macau, MGM China, Galaxy Entertainment, SJM Holdings and Melco Resorts expire at the end of the year.

They must bid for new licenses to remain in the special administrative region alongside new players also vying to operate.

Failure to secure new contracts, set to begin in 2023, means current operators will be banned from operating casinos on which they depend for their business and in which they have invested billions over the past two decades

The rebidding takes place amid Macao’s worst outbreak of COVID-19, which led to a 12-day closure of casinos in July.

ALSO READ: Macao 'to sign off on casino operator licence extensions'

Companies must provide a guarantee of not less than 10 million patacas ($1.24 million) and submit the required qualification documents, the government said, according to a statement on its website.

When bidding, “special consideration should be given to develop foreign tourist markets, experience in operating casino games, investment in gaming and non-gaming projects for Macao’s benefit, plans to manage the casino, plans to monitor and prevent illegal activities and social responsibilities.”

Macao’s government set up a committee to vet bidders for the new licenses, with a decision expected in the fourth quarter.

Failure to secure new contracts, set to begin in 2023, means current operators will be banned from operating casinos on which they depend for their business and in which they have invested billions over the past two decades.

READ MORE: Macao eases curbs as no new community virus cases reported

Macao’s casino sector had been reeling since the start of the pandemic, with revenues sliding 70 percent in 2021 to $10.8 billion from $36 billion in 2019.

But the prospect of not being able to operate in future is more daunting than what casinos hope will be a short-term liquidity shortage.

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !