RT Banner 2021V4.gif

China Daily

Focus> Quirky> Content
Monday, January 25, 2021, 15:38
Report: Spanish woman who 'died' of virus returned 10 days later
By Reuters
Monday, January 25, 2021, 15:38 By Reuters

MADRID - An 85-year-old woman believed by her family to have died from the coronavirus surprised her relatives by returning to her care home nine days after they were told she had been buried, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

After a mix-up over names, the family of Rogelia Blanco were informed that the pensioner died of COVID-19 on Jan. 13 and her funeral was the next day, the La Voz de Galicia newspaper said. Due to coronavirus protocols, they were unable to attend.

After a mix-up over names, the family of Rogelia Blanco were informed that the pensioner died of COVID-19 on Jan. 13 and her funeral was the next day

So when she arrived fit and well back at the care home in Xove, northern Spain, on Saturday where her husband Ramón Blanco also lived, he was overwhelmed, the paper said.

“I could not believe it. I was crying, after the death of my wife,” it quoted him as saying, adding that it was the woman who shared a room with Blanco who had died.

READ MORE: Russia virus deaths hit new record as disease ravages regions

The newspaper quoted the San Rosendo Foundation, which runs the care home, as saying the error occurred when Blanco and other residents who tested positive for COVID-19 were transferred to another care home on Dec. 29 for specialised treatment.

“Among the elderly people transferred were two women who were assigned the same room,” the foundation said, according to La Voz de Galicia. They were transferred to the Os Gozos residency in Pereiro de Aguiar, 223 km from Xove.

“An identification error during the process of transfer from Xove to Pereiro de Aguiar led to the death of one of them being certified on Jan. 13, although the identity was wrongly assigned,” it said.

ALSO READ: Health minister: Norway to use all 3 vaccines to stop COVID-19

The foundation expressed its regret for the “unfortunate incident”, the newspaper said, quoting the statement, which added: “This is a one-off event, among the more than 100 transfers that have been made since last December to Os Gozos.”

A court had been informed to reverse the mistake over Blanco’s death, the statement said. The foundation did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment.

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !