Volunteers carry out disinfection work in Jiang'an district of Wuhan, central China's Hubei province, Feb 9, 2020. (CHENG MIN / XINHUA)
BEIJING/WUHAN - Chinese health authorities said Monday it received reports of 3,062 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 97 deaths on Sunday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
Among the new fatalities, 91 were in Hubei province, two in Anhui, as well as one in Heilongjiang, Jiangxi, Hainan and Gansu provinces respectively, according to China's National Health Commission.
A total of 3,281 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery
Besides the 91 fatalities, Hubei's health authorities reported 2,618 new confirmed cases.
The provincial capital Wuhan reported 1,921 new infections and 73 new deaths, and the cities of Huanggang and Xiaogan reported 115 and 105 new confirmed cases, respectively, according to the Hubei Provincial Health Commission.
Hubei had reported 29,631 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus infection by Sunday, with 871 deaths and 5,505 cases still in severe or critical conditions. The mortality rate is calculated at 2.94 percent.
Hubei province had reported 29,631 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus infection by Sunday, with 871 deaths
In breakdown, Wuhan has recorded 16,902 confirmed cases in total, followed by Xiaogang and Huanggang with 2,541 cases and 2,252 cases, respectively. The cities of Suizhou, Jingzhou and Xiangyang also had over 1,000 cases each.
Hubei also saw 356 patients discharged from hospital after recovery on Sunday. It had seen 1,795 patients discharged after recovery from hospital by Sunday.
Meanwhile, the National Health Commission also said another 4,008 new suspected cases were reported Sunday.
Also on Sunday, 296 patients became seriously ill, while 632 people were discharged from hospital after recovery.
The overall confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland had reached 40,171 by the end of Sunday, and 908 people had died of the disease.
The commission added that 6,484 patients remained in severe condition, and 23,589 people were suspected of being infected with the virus.
A total of 3,281 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
The commission said 399,487 close contacts had been traced, adding that among them, 29,307 were released from medical observation Sunday, with 187,518 others still under medical observation.
By the end of Sunday, 36 confirmed cases including one death had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 18 in Taiwan.
One patient in Macao and one in Taiwan have been discharged from hospital after recovery.
Copyright 1995 - 2022. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS