RT-Banner-2020C.gif

China Daily

News> Nation> Content
Thursday, January 24, 2019, 23:07
China's foreign ministry confirms detention of Australian
By Mo Jingxi
Thursday, January 24, 2019, 23:07 By Mo Jingxi

BEIJING – China’s Foreign Ministry confirmed on Thursday that an Australian citizen named Yang Hengjun had been detained on suspicion of engaging in activities that threatened China's national security.

The case is still under investigation, and the legitimate rights and interests of Yang have been safeguarded. 

Hua Chunying, Spokesperson, Foreign Ministry, China

“China has officially informed the Australian embassy in China about this case,” Hua Chunying, spokesperson for the ministry, said at a press conference in Beijing.

According to Hua, it is an operation taken by the Beijing State Security Bureau in accordance with law.

“The case is still under investigation, and the legitimate rights and interests of Yang have been safeguarded,” she said.

In a statement released on Thursday, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said Chinese authorities gave formal notification to the Australian embassy in Beijing on Wednesday night that Yang had been detained.

According to media reports, the 53-year-old Yang had flown into Guangzhou Baiyun airport from New York last week, and his friends lost contact with him since last Friday.


Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !