This image taken from TV, shows the interior of a mosque after a deadly attack by a suicide bomber, in Mubi, Adamawa State, Nigeria, Nov 21, 2017. A teenage suicide bomber detonated as worshippers gathered for morning prayers at the mosque, killing at least 50 people, police said. (PHOTO / AP)
LAGOS, Nigeria — A teenage suicide bomber attacked worshippers as they gathered for morning prayers Tuesday at a mosque in northeastern Nigeria, killing at least 50 people, police said, in one of the region's deadliest assaults in years.
Bloody debris covered the floor inside the mosque in Mubi town in Adamawa state where worshippers had arrived around 5 am. Outside, people gathered around the dead.
President Muhammadu Buhari tweeted that he was "saddened by the very cruel and dastardly suicide bombing attack."
Tuesday's attack was the first since Mubi town was liberated from Boko Haram insurgents in 2014
"May the souls of the dead rest in peace," he added.
Police spokesman Othman Abubakar told The Associated Press they were "still trying to ascertain the number of injured because they are in various hospitals."
While there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombing, suspicion immediately fell on the Boko Haram extremist group. The group is based in neighboring Borno state and has been blamed for scores of similar attacks over the years.
READ MORE: Nigeria exchanges 82 Chibok girls kidnapped by Boko Haram for prisoners
Tuesday's attack was the first since Mubi town was liberated from Boko Haram insurgents in 2014.
Boko Haram increasingly has been using teenagers or young women as bombers, many of whom have been abducted.
The police spokesman said the young man detonated his explosives Tuesday while mingling among the worshippers.
This image taken from TV, shows the interior of a mosque after a deadly attack by a suicide bomber, in Mubi, Adamawa State, Nigeria, Nov 21, 2017. (PHOTO / AP)
While Nigeria's military in recent months has flushed Boko Haram from its forest stronghold, President Muhammadu Buhari's claim late last year that the extremist group had been "crushed" has proven to be premature.
Boko Haram has been blamed for more than 20,000 deaths during its eight-year-old insurgency. The attacks have spilled into neighboring countries and displaced more than 2.4 million people in the Lake Chad region, creating a vast humanitarian crisis.
ALSO READ: Nigerian president vows to step up fight against Boko Haram
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the suicide attack and reiterated "the solidarity of the United Nations with the Government of Nigeria in its fight against terrorism and violent extremism," UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said.
The UN chief called for those responsible "for these heinous acts to be swiftly brought to justice," he said.
The United States condemned the attack. A statement by US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said "that the victims were targeted and killed in a place of worship demonstrates yet again the brutal nature of the terrorists whose sole aim is to threaten the peace and security of Nigerian citizens."
Nauert said the attack only strengthens the resolve of the US to work with Nigerian and regional partners in countering such threats.<!!--#include virtual="" -->
Hong Kong retail sales rise 15% in April
Global factories struggle for momentum amid patchy demand
Joint infrastructure building contributes to LAC economies
Lighting firm joins Chinese rush to UAE
At hospital in Dalian, animals help children
Copyright 1995 - 2023. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS