2022 RT Banner.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 14:05
DPRK says US extension of sanctions 'a hostile act'
By Reuters
Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 14:05 By Reuters

SEOUL — The recent US extension of sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) was an act of hostility and an outright challenge to the historic summit between the two countries in Singapore last year, a spokesman for Pyongyang's foreign ministry said on Wednesday. 

The White House last week extended six executive orders containing sanctions imposed over DPRK's nuclear and missile programs by one year. 

The unidentified DPRK foreign ministry spokesman denounced US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's remarks on Sunday that more than 80 percent of DPRK's economy has been affected by sanctions. 

An unidentified DPRK foreign ministry spokesman also accused Washington of "viciously slandering" Pyongyang in its latest reports on human trafficking and religious freedom around the world

The spokesman also accused Washington of "viciously slandering" Pyongyang in its latest reports on human trafficking and religious freedom around the world. 

"This is ... a manifestation of the most extreme hostile acts by the United States," the spokesman said in a statement carried by DPRK's official KCNA news agency. 

 ALSO READ: Don't try our patience, DPRK tells US a year after accord

"All these speak clearly to the fact that the wild dream of the United States to bring us to our knees by means of sanctions and pressure has not changed at all but grows even more undisguised," he added. 

US President Donald Trump and DPRK leader Kim Jong-un held their first, groundbreaking summit in Singapore in June last year, agreeing to foster new relations and work towards the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula

But a second summit in Vietnam in February collapsed as both sides failed to bridge differences between US' calls for denuclearization and DPRK's demands for sanctions relief. 

Since then, the DPRK has complained of US sanctions and demanded Pompeo be replaced by someone "more mature", while lauding the rapport Kim built with Trump. 

Pompeo, speaking to reporters on Sunday, raised hopes for a revival of nuclear talks after a recent exchange of letters between Trump and Kim. 

READ MORE: Kim says will consider 'excellent letter' received from Trump

The DPRK spokesman warned it would be difficult to achieve denuclearization as long as US politics are dominated by policymakers who have an "inveterate antagonism" towards the DPRK. 

"We would not thirst for a lifting of sanctions," the spokesman said. 

"Our state is not a country that will surrender to the US sanctions, nor are we a country which the US could attack whenever it desires to do so," he added.

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !