621x74 (2).gif

China Daily

Extra> Social Share> Content
Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 14:00
Hong Kong protests: MTR CCTV reconstruction squashes death rumor
By chinadailyhk.com
Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 14:00 By chinadailyhk.com

HONG KONG - Hong Kong's sole rail operator, the MTR Corporation Limited, squashed widely circulated rumors of any death in its Prince Edward station premises in the late evening of Aug 31 as it presented a reconstruction of events with the aid of closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage at a press conference on Tuesday. 

Since there were many injuries at Prince Edward station that day, the MTR arranged a special non-passenger train to ferry the injured persons from Prince Edward station to Lai Chi Kok station where seven injured persons were sent to hospital for treatment

The air on the alleged discrepancy in the number of people injured at Prince Edward station was cleared by Senior Superintendent of the Police Public Relations Branch Yu Hoi-kwan and Senior Assistant Chief Ambulance Officer of the Fire Services Department Lo Shun-tong  as they met the press in company of Senior Manager of the Hospital Authority Andy Kung and MTR's Chief of Operations Sammy Wong.

ALSO READ: Police condemn violent acts inside MTR stations

In a press release chronicling how the events unfolded, the MTR said the evacuation at Prince Edward station started at 10:53 pm on Aug 31 and at 11.20 pm, a frightened passenger was brought out of the station. Since there were many injuries at the station that day, according to the MTR statement, after an assessment of the prevailing public order situation, upon police request, the MTR arranged a special non-passenger train to ferry the injured persons from Prince Edward station to Lai Chi Kok station where seven injured persons were sent to hospital for treatment.

Upon reviewing station records further, the MTR ascertained that the same night, injured persons had arrived at Yau Ma Tei station on a Central-bound train. According to CCTV records available with MTR, ambulancemen sent three injured persons and one passenger out of Yau Ma Tei station at 11:31 pm.  

The Fire Services Department backed up the MTR's reconstruction by reiterating that seven injuries had been recorded at Prince Edward station.

The Hospital Authority (HA) official said 46 people had sought medical treatment at accident and emergency departments of 10 public hospitals between Aug 31 and Sept 2.

Nineteen of them needed to be admitted and all had since been discharged, the official said. The HA iterated that no death had been recorded during that period.

ALSO READ: Distorted media coverage of violence must be addressed

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !