BEIJING – Dialogue and consultations based on equality, sincerity and mutual respect are the only viable way out for the China-US trade issues, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Wednesday.
After Washington announced the latest tariff offensive against China, US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told media that the intention of the US is to make constructive dialogue with China. As to whether and when the two sides would hold such dialogue, Ross said the matter is in China's ballpark.
Responding to Ross’ statement, Geng Shuang, spokesperson for China’s foreign ministry, said that sending out invitations for negotiations on one hand and keeping up maximum pressure on the other hand has become a routine trick of the US, while China has seen clearly and taken it calmly.
Threats, intimidation and blackmail against China are useless.
Geng Shuang, Spokesperson, Foreign Ministry, China
"Not long ago, China received an invitation from the US to hold trade negotiations, and the two sides had been in discussion about the details," Geng said at a daily news briefing. "However, the US on Tuesday announced additional tariffs to be levied on US$200 billion worth of Chinese goods, and threatening to adopt further tariff escalation measures."
The spokesperson also mentioned similar cases occurred earlier in June and August.
"Threats, intimidation and blackmail against China are useless," he said.
ALSO READ: China, US urged to shun confrontation
China would continue to steadfastly advance reform and opening up in line with its own timetable and roadmap while continuing to firmly safeguard its legitimate rights and interests, added Geng.
"The essence of China-US trade cooperation is mutual benefit," he said, adding that it is not terrible if there are differences, while dialogue and negotiations based on equality, sincerity and mutual respect are the only correct way to resolve China-US trade issues.
"We hope the US side could demonstrate goodwill and sincerity," he said.
HONG KONG NEWS