RT-Banner-2020C.gif

China Daily

News> World> Content
Sunday, July 14, 2019, 17:06
Death toll in boat migrant accident off Tunisia rises to 82
By Reuters
Sunday, July 14, 2019, 17:06 By Reuters

An unidentified Malian survivor, left, of a shipwreck sits in the Red Crescent center of Zarzis, southern Tunisia, July 4, 2019.  The number of bodies recovered by Tunisia after a ship packed with migrants sank off its coast last week has risen to 82, in one of the worst disasters in recent years, the Tunisian Red Crescent said on July 13, 2019. (SAMI JELASSI / AP)

TUNIS - The number of bodies recovered by Tunisia after a ship packed with migrants sank off its coast last week has risen to 82, in one of the worst disasters in recent years, the Tunisian Red Crescent said on Saturday. 

After a week of searches, all the 82 bodies who were in the boat that sank last week were recovered

Mongi Slim, Official, Tunisian Red Crescent

The boat capsized after setting off for Europe from neighboring Libya. Survivors told the Tunisian coast guard last week that it had been carrying 86 people. 

Tunisian fishermen rescued four people but one later died in hospital, the UN refugee agency UNHCR said last week. 

ALSO READ: Up to 70 migrants drown after boat capsizes off Tunisia

"After a week of searches, all the 82 bodies who were in the boat that sank last week were recovered," Mongi Slim, an official of the Tunisian Red Crescent, told Reuters. 

Libya's west coast is a main departure point for African migrants hoping to reach Europe, though numbers have dropped due to an Italian-led effort to disrupt smuggling networks and support Libya's coast guard. 

Sixty-five migrants heading for Europe from Libya drowned in May when their boat capsized off Tunisia. 

READ MORE: Rescue group: Libya left migrants to die in Mediterranean

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !