This photo released by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) shows a Congolese refugee boy washing his hands before entering one of the medical tents used for evaluating newly arrived Congolese for potential symptoms of Ebola, at the Kyaka refugee settlement in western Uganda, June 12, 2019. (KELLIE RYAN / INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE / AP)
KAMPALA, Uganda — Uganda's health ministry says a second person infected with the Ebola virus has died after a family exposed to the disease quietly crossed the border from Congo.
The Ebola virus outbreak in Congo has so far infected over 1,900 people and caused more than 1,300 deaths
The first cross-border cases in this Ebola outbreak have prompted a World Health Organization (WHO) expert committee to meet on Friday to discuss whether to declare a global health emergency.
Health ministry spokesman Emmanuel Ainebyoona on Thursday confirmed the death of the 50-year-old woman overnight.
Her 5-year-old grandson was the first confirmed death from Ebola in Uganda. The boy's 3-year-old brother also is infected.
Authorities repatriated the relatives of two people who died of Ebola in Uganda back to the Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday, including the 3-year-old boy, the Ugandan health minister said.This AFP graphic shows the data and a map on the spread of Ebola from the DR Congo to Uganda.
Health officials in eastern Congo are vaccinating some pregnant
women and infants against Ebola for the first time since the outbreak was
declared in August.
More than 1,400 people have now died from Ebola, and an experimental vaccine produced by Merck has provided a high degree of protection.
The WHO said on Wednesday the current Ebola outbreak in the Congo remains a major threat to the health and socio-economic wellbeing of the people of East Africa.
It is bringing in 3,500 additional vaccines to Uganda and will begin vaccinating more people on Friday.
The WHO has said it will reconvene an emergency committee on Friday to decide whether the outbreak is an international public health emergency and how to manage it.
This photo released by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) shows a young Congolese refugee girl washing clothes outside one of the medical units used for evaluating newly arrived Congolese for potential symptoms of Ebola, at the Kyaka refugee settlement in western Uganda, June 12, 2019. (KELLIE RYAN / INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE / AP)
Tigest Ketsela Mengestu, WHO Country Representative for Tanzania, urged the East African Community (EAC) region to continue engaging in national and regional contingency plans needed to strengthen prevention, response and mitigation of health security risks.
She said the Ebola virus outbreak in Congo has so far infected over 1,900 people and caused more than 1,300 deaths.
With inputs from Xinhua
Copyright 1995 - 2020. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS