Indian cricket fans cheer in support of their national team during the one day international (ODI) Asia Cup cricket match between Pakistan and India at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium in Dubai on Sept 23, 2018. (ISHARA S. KODIKARA / AFP)
LONDON - The International Cricket Council is confident the June 16 World Cup match between Indian and Pakistan will go ahead despite last week's attack claimed by Pakistan-based militants on Indian forces in disputed Kashmir, chief executive David Richardson has said.
A suicide bomber on Thursday attacked a paramilitary police convoy in Indian-controlled Kashmir, killing at least 40 in the deadliest single assault on Indian forces in 30 years of insurgency in the Muslim-majority region.
ALSO READ: PSL: A pathway to revive international cricket in Pakistan
Angry Indian fans have demanded boycotting the marquee match in England though neither of the cricket boards has publicly expressed any such desire.
"Certainly there are no indications any of the matches, including the Pakistan-India match, will not be played as planned at the World Cup," ICC chief executive David Richardson told cricket website.
"But ... we will continue to monitor the situation."
ICC is the world governing body for the game.
Bitter rivals India and Pakistan are scheduled to clash at Old Trafford in Manchester in what would be one of the most eagerly-anticipated matches at the May 30-July 14 tournament.
READ MORE: Pakistan wins final T20 against South Africa by 27 runs
More than 400,000 applications had been made for the 25,000 tickets available for the match, organizers said.
"To put that in perspective, England v Australia was around 230-240,000," World Cup tournament director Steve Elworthy told Cricinfo. "And the final was around about 260-270,000 applications for tickets.
"So that gives you a bit of perspective for the demand for this match.
"It's a big game."
HKSAR govt holds sharing session on spirit of 'two sessions'
Residents want more online rail tickets, better arrangements
Warehouse fire forced thousands to evacuate in Hong Kong
China urges US to stop suppressing foreign companies
CUHK: HK needs 'competitive positioning' to unleash strengths
Copyright 1995 - 2023. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily. Without written authorization from China Daily, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
HONG KONG NEWS