RT2018.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 14:23
Australia, Holland, Russia start talks over downed MH17
By Associated Press
Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 14:23 By Associated Press

Netherlands' Minister of Foreign Affairs, Stef Blok, left, and Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Marise Payne hold a press conference in Sydney, Australia, March 27, 2019. (RICK RYCROFT / AP)

SYDNEY — The Netherlands and Australia confirmed Wednesday that three-way talks with Russia have begun over the ongoing criminal investigation into the shooting down of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 in 2014.

The two countries announced last year they were holding Russia responsible for providing the missile fired by pro-Russian forces in war-torn Ukraine that brought down the jet, causing the deaths of all 298 people aboard. The dead included 196 people from the Netherlands and 38 from Australia.

International investigators last year said they had strong evidence the Buk missile system that shot down the Boeing 777 plane came from a Russia-based military unit. Russia has denied involvement

Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok and his Australian counterpart Marise Payne said Wednesday that the first trilateral talks about state responsibility for the incident took place earlier this month, after diplomatic approaches were made earlier this year.

"We cannot go into the content of this process because confidentiality is vital here," Blok said at a joint news conference with Payne in Sydney. "But I can say this: We remain committed to achieving truth, justice and accountability."

ALSO READ: Investigators: Russian military missile downed Flight MH17

International investigators last year said they had strong evidence the Buk missile system that shot down the Boeing 777 plane came from a Russia-based military unit. Russia has denied involvement and dismissed the findings from the international criminal probe because it was not invited to be part of the investigation team.

Payne said Australia remained "a strong supporter of the Dutch national prosecution of the individuals responsible," and pledged her country's continuing commitment to the Dutch-Australian joint investigation into the incident.

People lay flowers and light candles at Dutch embassy in Kiev on July 17, 2018, to remember those killed on flight MH17 four years ago when the plane was shot down over war-torn Ukraine. (SERGEI SUPINSKY / AFP)

If Russia were ultimately to acknowledge some form of legal responsibility, it could lead to compensation claims from relatives of the people killed.

READ MORE: MH17: At UN, Netherlands asks Russia to be 'accountable'

When the Netherlands and Australia last year said they were holding Russia responsible, they quickly received backing from the United States, Britain and other allies.

Blok said the Netherlands appreciated the "political and financial support" that Australia and other G8 countries have pledged toward a potential trial of MH17 suspects.

Blok, who also laid a wreath at a memorial to MH17 victims in the national capital Canberra, said he and Payne had in their meetings Wednesday reiterated their countries' commitment to cooperate in fighting terrorism and extremism.

"The Netherlands and Australia stand side-by-side in grief and their resolve," he said.

This story has been corrected to show that the news conference took place in Sydney.


Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !