RT2018.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Friday, June 14, 2019, 18:44
Officials: Abe failed to broker US-Iran talks as tensions rise
By Xinhua
Friday, June 14, 2019, 18:44 By Xinhua

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe arrives at Haneda airport in Tokyo in the morning of June 14, 2019 after a two-day visit to Iran. (NAOYA OSATO / KYODO NEWS VIA AP)

TOKYO/BRUSSELS — Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, during a two-day trip to Iran, sought to help de-escalate tensions between Washington and Tehran and offered to broker dialogue between the two sides, but his bid was rejected by Iran, government officials said here on Friday.

PM Abe's efforts to broker a dialogue between Washington and Tehran were rejected by the latter, government officials said, with Abe stating that the standoff in the region remains difficult

Abe, while urging Iran to stick to an international nuclear accord inked in 2015 with six other countries, was keen to offer his help in mediating between Tehran and Washington, he had previously said.

READ MORE: Japan PM Abe warns US, Iran 'accidental conflict' possible

This was partly due to Japan having friendly ties with both Washington and Tehran, with this year marking the 90th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between Japan and Iran.

Abe's visit to Iran, in fact, marked the first visit made by a Japanese prime minister since Takeo Fukuda in 1978.

Nevertheless, his efforts to broker a dialogue between Washington and Tehran were rejected by the latter, informed sources here said, with Abe stating that the standoff in the region remains difficult.

READ MORE: Iran's Ayatollah tells Abe he has no reply to message from Trump

Abe said, however, after his talks in Iran, that Japan remained committed to working towards the achievement of peace and stability in the region and the de-escalation of tensions between the US and Iran, the Japanese Foreign Ministry said.

Separately on Friday, the European Union called for maximum restraint amid mounting tensions over US accusations against Iran over attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, Reuters reports. Iran denied responsibility for the attacks. 


With Reuters input

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !