The Education University of Hong Kong banner

China Daily

News> Hong Kong> Content
Monday, July 15, 2019, 14:08
HK police commissioner condemns violent protest
By Staff writer
Monday, July 15, 2019, 14:08 By Staff writer

This June 13, 2019 photo shows Hong Kong's Commissioner of Police Stephen Lo Wai-chung during a press conference at the Police Headquarters in Wan Chai, Hong Kong. (ROY LIU / CHINA DAILY)

HONG KONG - The Commissioner of Hong Kong Police Stephen Lo Wai-chung on early Monday condemned radical protestors over violent clashes with police officers in Sha Tin, beginning Sunday night.

The Commissioner of Hong Kong Police Stephen Lo Wai-chung said at least ten police officers were injured during the violence 

On Sunday night, at the Sha Tin shopping district, police clashed with protesters opposed to the now-suspended extradition bill. It was the second demonstration in two days. Some masked, radical protesters threw bricks, umbrellas and bottles at police from higher floors inside a shopping center when the police tried to disperse them.

Lo said at least ten police officers were injured during the violence, one had his finger bitten off by a violent protester. Some injured officers suffered hairline fractures on the face. 

IN PICTURES: HK police attacked by anti-extradition law protesters

Lo’s remarks came after he visited the injured officers in the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital in Tai Po.

He described the violence of some protesters as “heinous”, adding some of demonstrators appeared as if they had “lost their minds” as they repeatedly kicked a policeman who had fallen down.

Police have come under much criticism lately but have received little thanks for their efforts to maintain order, Lo pointed out.

READ MORE: HK police chief: Officers acted lawfully, appropriately

According to Lo, about 40 were arrested for illegal assembly and assaulting police.

A total of 28 people were sent to hospital for treatments and seven remained in hospital until 11:30 am on Monday, the Hospital Authority spokesperson said. Two of them were in serious condition. 

Share this story

Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !