2022 RT Banner.gif

China Daily

News> Hong Kong> Content
Sunday, December 15, 2019, 16:53
Man burned by protesters still in recovery
By chinadailyhk.com
Sunday, December 15, 2019, 16:53 By chinadailyhk.com

This photo taken from the official Facebook page of lawmaker Elizabeth Quat Pui-fan shows Lee Chi-cheung's hands still covered with heavy gauze following the November arson attack by rioters.

HONG KONG - The man who was set on fire by radical protesters in November is recovering after three skin grafts, according to the lawmaker Elizabeth Quat Pui-fan.

Lee Chi-cheung, 57, was involved in an argument with protesters who went about on a rampage of vandalism in the Ma On Shan train station on Nov 11. One of the protesters poured flammable liquid on Lee and set him alight with a cigarette lighter.

ALSO READ: Backlash growing after shocking violence

According to Lee's wife, the transplant of two-thirds of the skin in the burned area was successful

Lee was sent to hospital in critical condition with burns to 40 percent of his body. 

When Quat visited Lee in hospital on Saturday, Lee was able to sit up and walk a few steps. According to a photo posted by Quat at her social media page, both Lee’s hands are covered with heavy gauze while patches of new skins and burn marks showed on his face. 

Lee thanked the public for caring for him. 

READ MORE: Arson attack on citizen 'shocking' and 'insane'

Lee told Quat his ordeal was far from over. He felt itchy all over the burnt area but he was told not to scratch which could cause new injuries. He could still feel the pain every time the nurse changed the gauze covering his wounds. But he said he was hopeful that he would get well soon.

According to Lee's wife, the transplant of two-thirds of the skin in the burned area was successful. But Lee is still weak and is afraid of the cold. Quat said the doctor has no plan to perform another skin graft operation on Lee.

Share this story

Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !