RT2018.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Monday, March 18, 2019, 15:07
NZ massacre: No bail for man held with distributing live stream
By Reuters
Monday, March 18, 2019, 15:07 By Reuters

Imam Ibrahim Abdul Halim of the Linwood mosque, center left, is embraced by Father Philemon El Baramousy, center right, from the Coptic Church at the site of Friday's shooting outside the Linwood mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 18, 2019. (VINCENT THIAN / AP)

WELLINGTON — An 18-year-old man was denied bail at a court in New Zealand on Monday after he was charged with distributing a live stream of the mass shooting at a mosque last week, the New Zealand Herald reported. 

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder for the mosque shootings

The man was arrested on Friday, but police have since said they do not believe he was directly involved in the attacks at two mosques in Christchurch which happened on the same day, in which 50 worshippers were killed. 

ALSO READ: Family of suspected NZ mosque gunman devastated for victims

He faces charges of sharing the gunman's live-stream and posting a photograph of one of the mosques attacked with the message "target acquired" along with other chat messages "inciting extreme violence", the Herald reported. 

His request for bail was refused but the judge granted him name suppression. He is due back in court next month. 

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder for the mosque shootings. Tarrant was remanded without a plea and is due back in court on April 5 where police said he was likely to face more charges. 

READ MORE: NZ PM targets gun reform laws after weekend of mourning

The teen was initially charged with publishing material insulting other races and ethnicities but that charge was withdrawn and replaced by the two new charges on Monday. 

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !