RT Banner 2021V4.gif

China Daily

News> Hong Kong> Content
Published: 21:36, September 28, 2021 | Updated: 10:51, September 29, 2021
North Point block cordoned off as HK probes re-positive case
By Wang Zhan
Published:21:36, September 28, 2021 Updated:10:51, September 29, 2021 By Wang Zhan

HONG KONG - The Hong Kong government cordoned off a building in North Point on Tuesday night for targeted testing as health authorities investigated a suspected re-positive overseas case and two preliminary positive imported cases of COVID-19. 

A “restricted area” starting at 7 pm at Two Island Place on 55 Tanner Road in North Point. Residents are required to stay in their premises and undergo compulsory testing. The exercise was finished at around 7 am Wednesday. Some 710 residents had been tested as of 2 am Wednesday and no positive case was found.

The suspected re-positive case involved a 22-year-old man, the government said. He left Hong Kong in mid-April 2021 and returned to the city Sept 12 on flight QR818 from Serbia. 

The specimen collected upon his arrival at the Hong Kong airport, as well as the four tests conducted during the compulsory quarantine period, were negative for COVID-19. 

The Centre for Health Protection is also investigating two preliminary positive imported cases involving two women who had traveled back to the city from Jordan. They both carried the L452R mutant strain 

Upon completion of the compulsory quarantine at a designated quarantine hotel on Sept 26, he returned to his North Point home for self-monitoring, during which he went for testing according to the relevant requirements. 

READ MORE: HK halts quarantine exemption for travelers from Macao

"His sample collected on Sept 27 at the community testing center at Ngau Tau Kok Road Sports Centre in Kwun Tong tested positive for COVID-19, with a Ct value larger than 30," the government said.

The patient has been asymptomatic. He received two doses of Covishield vaccine on June 15 and July 15 in India. 

According to information provided by the patient, he tested positive for COVID-19 in India in April this year. 

"After examining the epidemiological, clinical and laboratory findings, this case is compatible with a suspected re-positive overseas case," the government said.

Based on the overseas situation, the case "is very likely to involve a mutant strain," the government added.

"The risk of infection in the relevant area is assessed to be likely higher, so the government decided to make a 'restriction-testing declaration' for the relevant area after the test result was found to be positive."

The patient works at 18/F, Tower 2, The Quayside in Kwun Tong and last went to work on Sept 27. 

"His workplace and the places he had visited during the incubation period will be included in a compulsory testing notice," the government said.

ALSO READ: HK logs 13 new virus cases, to extend social distancing rules

Meanwhile, the Centre for Health Protection is also investigating two preliminary positive imported cases. One of the cases involved a 23-year-old woman who lives at Tung Yik Building in Yuen Long, and the other case involved a 24-year-old woman who lives at Block 20 of Fortune Garden in Yuen Long. 

They tested negative in Hong Kong on Sept 11 and traveled to Jordan the following day on flight QR817. 

They returned to Hong Kong on Sept 27 on flight QR818 and their specimens collected upon arrival at the Hong Kong airport tested positive for COVID-19. They carried the L452R mutant strain but not the N501Y or E484K mutant genes, the government said.

They had been asymptomatic and both had been fully vaccinated with the BioNTech shot, the CHP said.

"As a prudent measure, the building where they resided and the places they had visited in Hong Kong during the incubation period have been included in a compulsory testing notice," the CHP added.

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !