RT Banner 2021V4.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Published: 12:35, September 07, 2021 | Updated: 12:35, September 07, 2021
Official: S. Korea launched first ballistic missile from submarine
By Bloomberg
Published:12:35, September 07, 2021 Updated:12:35, September 07, 2021 By Bloomberg

This handout photo taken on Aug 13, 2021 and provided by South Korea's Defense Ministry on Sept 7, 2021 shows the locally-developed, diesel-powered 3,000-tonne Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine during its commissioning ceremony on the southern island of Geoje, South Korea. (HANDOUT / SOUTH KOREAN DEFENSE MINISTRY / AFP)

South Korea has successfully test-launched a missile from a submarine, stepping up its strike capabilities and joining a small list of seven other countries to demonstrate the technology.

South Korea last week fired the missile from its 3,000-ton Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine, a defense ministry official who asked not to be named said Tuesday. The official spoke after Yonhap News reported on the test, citing military sources as saying the country fired off a variant of its Hyunmoo-2B ballistic missile, with a range of about 500 kilometers. 

ALSO READ: S. Korea says it is developing more powerful missiles

The defense ministry would not comment on the launch, saying: “We do not confirm individual details of our weaponries for security reasons.”

The test comes after US President Joe Biden and President Moon Jae-in ended bilateral missile guideline in May that had long restricted Seoul’s development of missiles to under the range of 800 kilometers. 

READ MORE: DPRK slams end to US guidelines on ROK missile range


Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !